“The only way to learn mathematics is to do mathematics.”
– Paul R. Halmos
The maths department aims to challenge and inspire students, building a love and understanding of the subject. We aim to do this by setting work which stretches students, but also ensures that they feel supported.
Mathematics is at the heart of everything around us and is an essential skill in the modern world. Maths is about solving problems, thinking creatively and teamwork, not just completing calculations.
We want students to:
- Realise that everyone can achieve success in maths.
- Understand of the key concepts and develop the knowledge required for success both in exams and in life after school.
- Develop key mathematical skills such as problem solving, logical thinking, reasoning and communication.
- Leave school with the numeracy skills needed to navigate the challenges of adult life, including finances and the modern workplace.
- Throughout Years 7 – 11 we teach maths in a way which builds upon prior learning. This ensures that students see the connections between topics, enabling them to make progress and use their knowledge to solve problems
Focus for Assessments:
- Geometry & Measures
- Ratio, Proportion & Rates of Change